Lets see the synoptic Analysis for Tomorrow. As we see a strong monsoon depression in North Bay, this moves in and merges with monsoon trough/axis and then moves to Gujarat. Since this is a strong monsoon depression, this will moving towards Arabian Sea activates monsoon winds in Arabian side.
And we can see in the Satellite image how the clouds are lined up and attacking the west coast
1. Kerala Performance on 03.08.2020
Good rains in the ghat areas of Idukki and Wayand and for 1st time the ghat areas scored more than the coastal station except for one station of Vadakara. Here is the Heavy Rainfall district wise (> min 50 mm)
- Kozhikode district – Vadakara 157 mm and Kuttiyadi 64 mm
- Palakkad district – Siruvani 83 mm, Pothundy 67 mm, Chulliyar 50 mm
- Idukki district – Idukki Dam 84 mm, Myladumpara 69 mm, Pambala Dam – 62 mm, Munnar 61 mm, Peermade 58 mm
- Wayanad district – Padinjarathara Dam 77 mm, Thariode 51 mm, Vythri 50 mm, Mananthavady 50 mm
- Kannur district – Thalassery 65 mm and Irikkur 55 mm
- Eranakulam district – Neeriyamangalam 55 mm and Bhoothathankettu 50 mm
- Kottayam district – Vaikom 65 mm, Poonjar 50 mm
- Others – Kudulu, Kasasragode dt 72 mm and Vellanikkara, Thrissur 53 mm
Today is just a start, tomorrow the numbers will be even higher in Kerala with lots of 100-150 mm rainfall in the ghats / dam areas.
2. Tamil Nadu Performance on 03.08.2020
Best day for Nilgiris in this monsoon and Avalanche hits 1st 100 mm of the season
- Nilgiris district – Devala 145 mm, Avalanche – 103 mm, Gudalur – 88 mm, Pandalur – 81 mm, Upper Gudalur 78 mm, Upper Bhavani 73 mm and Mukurthi 56 mm.
- Coimbatore district – Valparai areas got good rains with Chinnakallar 75 mm, Sholayar Dam 62 mm, Cincona 50 mm. After long time Pollachi got around 30 mm rainfall.
- Theni and Kanyakumari district too got rains. Upper Kodayar in Kanyakumari has got 60 mm.
- In North TN, the Nagari River which is a upstream tributary of Kosasthalyar River is getting massive rains. Today too Pallipattu got 80 mm. Yesterday it got 75 mm. The heavy rains in these belt has triggered inflow in Poondi Dam and also down south in Puzhal. The small Krishnapuram dam in AP is also full, the excess water from this dam will also reach Poondi soon.
3. Cauvery Catchment Dams performance on 03.08.2020
One of the best days for Hemavathy Dam Catchment which is upstream of KRS dam.
- KRS Dam Catchment – Giant Talacavery in Kodagu recorded 84 mm and other places in Kodagu also recorded good rains with another Giant Naladi 88 mm, Irripu 89 mm, Srimangala 68 mm, Katakeri 67 mm, Bhagamandala 56 mm and Madikeri 55 mm
- Harangi Dam – The smallest dam in Cauvery upstream in Karnataka. It might reach full level in a day or two max. The catchment areas got good rains with Surlabhi in Kodagu getting 114 mm and Galibeedu 55 mm.
- Kabini Dam Catchment – Very good rains are reported in Wayanad district in Kerala. with Padinjarathara Dam 77 mm, Thariode 51 mm, Vythri 50 mm, Mananthavady 50 mm. Kabini Dam is expected to reach full level in a maximum of 2-3 days.
- Hemavathy Dam – Not much rains in this catchment this year. But it got good rains with Shanthahalli and Kodlipet in Kodagu district getting 108 and 59 mm rains respectively. The catchment areas in Hassan district too got rains with Shukravarasante in Sakaleshpur taluk getting 60 mm.
4. Super Windy in Tamil Nadu
Madurai Airport was reporting gusts of 57 km and sustained winds of 39 km/hr. While Trichy had gusts of 37 km/hr.